Monday, June 10, 2013

So I’m thinking.

I’m in an interview for the position of substitute teacher at the Special School District (SSD). I fancy the idea of “giving something back” in the form of education, wisdom, whatever. I realize as I’m talking through my background that I am a candidate that is probably not typical. The interviewer has 15 required questions. They are preceded by a script. (I get it. You want to be fair and thorough in a process like this. I have already satisfied a number of requirements: provide references, transcripts, fingerprints, on-line assessment test etc. Now the one-on-one interview is part of the process. Not a final step but a necessary one.)

“Why are you interested in teaching?”
“If a student doesn’t want to complete a required assignment in class, how would you deal with that situation?”

“If a student wants to know why they must learn something, how do you respond to that question, why?”
“Tell me about your teaching approach.”

These are not the questions verbatim, but I think they capture the flavor of the interview with Peggy at the headquarters of the SSD in Town & Country. She took some notes, apologizing in advance for being a slow writer. I’m sympathetic to the note taker and am, I think, short and efficient with my answers. The whole thing, including the bit about my background at the end of the exchange only lasted about 22 minutes. (I don’t know if that is a good thing or not.) Peggy is doing her job for the Human Resources department. She was engaged enough in the conversation to share with me that her daughter was in market research (COO at Hatch).
I enjoyed the brief discussion, even if it was a bit contrived. It is always a little unnatural to be sitting across the table from a person fishing for answers to record. I answered honestly. Interestingly, I started to think about teaching (even as a substitute) as a unique opportunity. I’m not crazy enough to suppose that my impact will be profound as that of a dedicated teacher. I am a student of human nature. I believe people deserve a chance to learn. I know each person processes information differently and learns at different pace. I can do this.

So I’m thinking. This is a completely different career path for me to pursue. I offer experience and a perspective on the value of learning. I just might be a solid utility player in this system. I don’t know yet. Maybe I will find out.
“Someone will contact you if/when we think there is a fit.”

No comments:

Post a Comment