Sunday, June 9, 2024

OMG BCS Dave and More

 












Dave Shogren is a Renaissance Man. He runs a export business. He is president of the Saint Louis Chapter of the American Marketing Association (AMA). He teaches marketing. He writes and performs music. Sitting in the upstairs venue, Jack's Joint, at O'Connell's last night (6-7-24) I could not help but reflect on my friend Dave and his unique abilities and ongoing drive.

I met Dave more than 24 years ago when he was a key man at a food broker firm, Resource One. He was a right hand man in that business and quickly became an important member of the AMA board as VP Treasurer. He rejoined the board a few years ago and served as President 2023-24. He artfully combines his interests and activities and I've enjoyed watching Dave as leader and as musician. 

Noddin' Dave and OMG is one of his musical ensembles. Listening to "Big Foot Boogie" last night I was mindful of the personal history of this song that was created, in part, when visiting his brother in Oregon. I saw Dave perform the song at the AMA Leadership Summit, in Chicago, with three people he recruited from the audience as part of a five minute speech he gave last year. I saw Dave and his band perform at Crown Candy Plaza in Old North as part of neighborhood House Tour/Art Fair event in September 2023. I've been in the audience when Dave and his band, Benbow City Shuffle (BCS) performed at Evangeline's in the Central West End and at the Marine Transport Golf Event in Alton, Illinois. (I like being the fan base of Dave's musical endeavors from Tiny Desk Concert to Old North)












Dave and his wife Linda have become close friends as they have tolerated me as a tag along on road trips (where Dave drives) to Lincoln, NB, Chicago, KC, and Lake of the Ozarks. We've racked up an impressive list of adventures in the last couple of years, to be sure. His USA International Foods business/shop window has served as an impromptu gallery for student artwork from my students at Old North Academy too. 

Needless to say, I'm grateful for my friend Dave. 













 

No comments:

Post a Comment