Thursday, March 30, 2023

Good Grief!

 









I never fully understood why Charlie Brown says it aside from the high probability that things will not go well for Charlie. Perhaps it is his way of expressing and accepting failure in what seems an endless cycle of disappointments. Still, he is sincere and earnest in every new effort to save face and come out on top. That is a truly loveable trait. The optimism and self-assurance it takes to dust one self off and begin again is a worthy approach to everyday challenges.  

I find myself at a time in my life living with a measure of grief that that seems ever present. Still I know the loss of my life mate of 41+ years comes with a full bundle of sweet, priceless memories, full of joy and happiness. It is this bundle that surely must be the stuff of “good grief.” Those memories are poignant and palpable and most treasured. The poetry in my good grief is in so many little things that make me smile. 

I am fond of saying “Little things are big things”. To me, it so accurately captures the meaning of love. Acts of kindness, silly circumstances, happy moments and shared dreams make up the very stuff of which a full life is made. 

As I count my blessings and recall so many “little things” I must admit that I have, at times, been guilty of taking those things (and moments) for granted. I have the painful reminder that life is short and we just must try to recognize with gratitude the little things that, in spite of so often coming with setbacks, add up to the good in this lifetime of ours.

Charlie Brown remains an inspiration to me as he faces each new challenge with the optimism that is essential for success in spite of adversity. I will always root for the lovable loser because he never is truly defeated. Instead he is confident that he can and will prevail in the end. You’re a good man Charlie Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment