Darryl Vandever is our hospitality chair who is my partner. Darryl arrives with a small cooler with beer for those HBEers wanting a “pre-beer”. Jerry Ornellas has the markers for closest to the pin contests on #2 and #9. So our players start to straggle in: George Robin, Mitchell Miller (making another special appearance from his home at Lake of the Ozarks), Jerry Petry, Marco Tocco, Tom Shaughnessy, Joe Voss.
We’re ten golfers with only a sketchy schedule. Somehow we were somehow form into two five-somes. By now, we’ve learned our respective games well enough to be civilized as our shot attack each green. Scores and stories get re-play at the impromptu post game gathering under the tree adjacent to the parking lot and safely behind Hole #4.
NOTE: I placed a call to Fred Scott on the weekend. It was good to hear his voice on Sunday 8/16. I assured him that our league is still swinging and always hoping for the best. I learned that on Monday 8/17/26 Fred Scott passed away. A visitation at Schrader Funeral Home (in Ballwin) is scheduled for Sunday 8/23/26 4-8:00pm and a Funeral Mass is set for Monday 8/24/26 10am at Ascension Catholic Church (Chesterfield).
This is a moment in time that I cannot help but reflect on the joy of relationship and friendships on our life's journey. (Above photo): Tom Shaugnessy has joined our HBE league this year. (Below photo): Fred Scott poses with HBE golf trophy (2010). I was an alternate on Fred Scott/Pete Conant team. The next year I was part of a three man team with Suki Majesky and Mitch Miller - and technically a champion again.



No comments:
Post a Comment